Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Oatmeal pancakes for breakfast



After an entire weekend of doing my reading on the topic, yesterday I held my first official photo shoot session with food, and I found it really interesting and fun. It took me all morning... just shooting a plate of pancakes? Well, it was a whole load of tasks: Finding the best daylight spot (it´s mid November, and here in Finland daylight time is very very short  on this season), then arranging settings for the camera,  arranging a nice background, cooking the food, putting it nicely ready for the camera, finding a good composition... It was like photographing a mini celeb. 


For the occasion I chose my favorite pancakes, directly adapted from Martha Stewart´s blog  about a year ago, and now oficially mine with some little changes on the original recipe :) These are fast to make, thick as you want them, fluffy,  and truly delicious. Oatmeal gives them such a good flavor that thisis the only pancake recipe I regularly make. For white pancakes,  I only swear for Joyful Abode recipe. These two are all my pancake world.


Oatmeal & Cinnamon  Pancakes 

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups quick oatmeal (I use it instead of rolled oats, the result is the same)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for skillet







Just a glance to dry ingredients and eggs. Note that not all ingredients are included in the picture. See the list above. 



  1. Combine flour, oats  sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1 cup oats. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and oil. Add dry ingredients  and whisk just until moistened. Blend everything in your food processor by pulsing  just a few times until all ingredients are integrated. If you like thinner pancakes, add a bit more milk until the batter gets the consistency you want. The runnier, the thinner the pancake will be. 
  2. Heat a large skillet or griddle and oil it a bit. Clean any excess with kitchen paper.  To make normal sized pancakes, drop 1/4 cup of  batter in the hot skillet and cook your pancake on one side until a few bubbles appear on the surface, 1 to 2 minutes. After that Flip it and cook it until it is browned on both sides, usually 1 or 2 minutes more. 

For the purpose of this recipe I poured 3 tablespoons of batter to make each pancake, So I had mini pancakes for breakfast. These pancakes are really filling, a couple of mini ones was enough for my morning-hungry stomach.
.

 Hungry?  Enjoy!

No comments: