Tuesday, November 18, 2014

338647 reasons to celebrate: Caramel Flan

Today!.. FINALLY! after many times of having my first food photos rejected by Tastespotting  , it finally paid off!!, all the work and hours of reading at last brought a result. They accepted my first picture! it has the number 338647.  I´m so happy. Learning doesn´t stop there anyway, this is just the way it starts. Way to go! If you want to visit me on Tastespotting.com, search TheFullTeaspoonClub. I´ll be there

This is the recipe of Caramel Flan I unsuccessfully photoshot last friday. Now that I had more time this morning, I had to make it to celebrate 



Caramel Flan


-2 cans of condensed mik
(you can substitute one of the cans
by a pack of Philadelphia cheese.
I do it occasionaly and it´s goooooooood...)
-6 eggs
-the seeds of 1/3 of  a vanilla stick
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 lemon extract
White sugar (for caramel)



Preheat oven at 175 C or 350 F.
Simply put all  flan ingredients in
a bowl and mix them at high speed
until they integrate.

Next, it´s time to prepare caramel.
Put a few spoons of sugar to melt
in a pan at slow heat until it darkens to a nice light brown color. Do it
carefully and remove it inmediately
when you see the sugar color turns
medium brown. You dont
want your flan to taste like burnt
sugar. Here is a good tutorial, except that I don´t use any extra ingredient that sugar, but the method is the same.


Pour caramel to the bottom of you pan evenly (tilt the dish so that the caramel coats the bottom). Wait a couple of minutes for caramel to settle before slowly pouring flan batter in.  

Prepare a double boiler  pan in the middle rack of  your oven. 

Place there the flan dish, cover the top with a piece of aluminum paper (so surface won´t burn)  and bake for 60 min (have a look once in a while to make sure the water of the double boiler hasn´t evaporated. If so, pour in some more water) . Sometimes baking may take longer than 60 minutes, it all depends on your type of oven. If after 60 min it still fells wobbly, too shaky, continue baking for another 30  minutes, always turning to check it out every 15 minutes. If  after 30 min it´s still uncooked, leave it for 15 min more. Be always pendant of it. I personally like to watch when my goods are being baked , so sometimes I like to bring some comfortable pillows to the kitchen, sit down on the floor in front of my oven and bring with me a good magazine to spend my time. I´m weird :)

Carefully remove pan from the oven and wait 10-15 min for it to cool down a bit.  Before flipping the flan on a serving plate, put the pan once more in the water of the double boiler (which is still hot)
for a minute or two, just to soften the caramel of the bottom and avoid the flan sticking to the pan. 

Decorate nicely with pretty strawberries and otherchopped fruits. Nuts or orange peel go well too. Pour the rest of the caramel that remains at the bottom of the pan. 

Two words: creamy-yummy. To celebrate! 







No comments: